CIS Directorate, U.S. Army Research Lab
- Visiting Researcher
- April 2016 - Jun. 2016, Adelphi, MD.
- Worked on data-driven relation extraction from domain text corpora.
Discovery Team, Pinterest
- Software Engineer Intern
- May 2016 - Aug. 2016, San Francisco, CA.
- Designed and implemented machine learning pipelines for feed ranking. Shipped 3 projects in 12 weeks.
Internet Services Research Center (ISRC), Microsoft Research
- Research Intern
- May 2015 - Nov. 2015, Redmond, WA.
- Manager: Kuansan Wang.
- Improved Microsoft Academic Search experience (results were published in WSDM 2017).
- Shipped data-driven entity recognition and phrase mining tools to Bing Ads productions..
Data Management, Exploration and Mining (DMX) Group, Microsoft Research
- Research Intern
- Apr. 2014 - Aug. 2014, Redmond, WA.
- Manager: Surajit Chaudhuri.
- Worked on synonym discovery for entities in structured knowledge bases to improve Bing synonymn API (results were published in WWW 2015).
- Aug. 2013 - May 2014, Champaign, IL.
- StylePuzzle (Link) is a personalized outfit recommendation system. It helps users find suitable fashion products.
- Built machine learning pipelines and performed systematic user studies and quantitative evaluations.
Machine Learning Group, Microsoft Research Asia
- Research Intern
- May 2013 - Aug. 2013, Beijing, China.
- Modeled user search intents using Wikipedia and Bing query logs (results were published in WSDM 2014)
- Computer Vision Group, Microsoft Research Asia
CS 412: An Introduction to Data Warehousing and Data Mining
- Instructor: Cluster Analysis
- 2016 Fall, UIUC.
CS 512: Data Mining Principles and Algorithms
- Student Project Leader
- 2013 Spring, 2015 Spring, 2016 Spring; UIUC.
CS 591: Advanced Topics on Data Mining
- Guest Lecturer: Recommender Systems.
- 2013 Fall, UIUC.
CS 598: Advanced Natural Language Processing
- Guest Lecturer: Neural Language Models.
- 2013 Spring, UIUC.
Urvashi Khandelwal (B.S., class of 2014, UIUC)
- She received CRA Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award in 2015, and now is a CS PhD student at Stanford University.
- Collaborated on three papers (RecSys 2013, WSDM 2014 & KDD 2014).
Bradley Sturt (B.S., class of 2014, UIUC)
- He received Chancellor’s Scholar, and now is a CS PhD student at Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Collaborated on two papers (RecSys 2013 & WSDM 2014).
Ahmed El-Kishky (Ph.D. student, UIUC)
- He received NSF Graduate Research Fellowship and NDSEG Graduate Research Fellowship.
- Collaborated on KDD 2014 paper, and three conference tutorials (KDD 2015, WWW 2016 & SIGMOD 2016).
Tarique A. Siddiqui (M.Sc., class of 2016, UIUC)
- He recevied Siebel Scholar in 2015, and now is a PhD student in UIUC.
- Collaborated on a paper in CIKM 2016
Wenqi He (M.Sc., class of 2017, UIUC)
- She received Siebel Scholar in 2015.
- Collaborated on three papers (KDD 2016, EMNLP 2016 & MLG 2016).
- Other students I have adviced in UIUC (course projects, senior theses, etc.): Ettienne Montagner (B.S., class of 2015), Jun Liu (B.S., class of 2015), Parijat Mazumdar (M.Sc., class of 2016), Kanika Narang (PhD student), Meng Qu (M.Sc., class of 2017), Ellen Wu (M.Sc., class of 2017), Jiaming Shen (PhD student), Lucas Liu (PhD student).
Grant Proposal Writing
NS CTA I1: "Constructing Unified, Structured Knowledge Networks by Integrating Text, Social Media and Multi-Genre Networks".
- U.S. Army Research Lab W911NF-09-2-0053 (NSCTA), $100,000
- Worked with PIs Professor Heng Ji and Professor Jiawei Han; in chareg of writing the Subtask 1 of the proposal.
NSF III Small: "Multi-Dimensional Structuring, Summarizing and Mining of Social Media Data".
- NSF IIS 16-18481 (08-01-2016 – 07-31-2019), $500,000
- Worked with PI Jiawei Han on writing Subtasks 1 (Entity Extraction and Typing) and Subtask 2 (Extraction of Events and Subjects) sections in Theme 1.